The year 2020 marks the 100th anniversary of Rush Creek Bible Church! From its humble beginnings in 1920 to this very day, we have witnessed God’s incredible blessings to us as a congregation. We are so thankful and want to thank the Lord from Whom all blessings flow.
As a church family, Rush Creek has experienced a myriad of changes during the first century of our existence, all of which point us to God’s gracious provisions. In 1920 our small congregation met upstairs in a building on Wealthy Street. From there we relocated to a new sanctuary built on Sherman Street and then later to storefront property on Grandville Avenue in 1937. During the 1930s and 1940s, national and world events influenced not only our church, but all the churches across America. The Great Depression started in 1929 and would last until 1939, leaving millions unemployed and in debt. The war to end all wars would turn out to be false, as war again broke out and would last until 1945. Churches everywhere would be affected by the Great Depression and have fathers, sons, and daughters go to war. Yet through it all, the Lord remained faithful to our church and congregation. In 1956 property was purchased in Wyoming, where the church held its first service in August 1959. In 1998 the decision was made to relocate the church’s facilities. It was determined that Byron Center would be the best area that would provide a growing community to reach with the Gospel of Christ. The last Sunday in Wyoming was August 7, 2000, with the very first service as Rush Creek Bible Church held one week later.
Over the years, the church has had new names and has been blessed with wonderful men who have pastored our flock. We began as First Berean Reformed Church in 1920. Our name was changed to Berean Church in 1937, later to Berean Bible Church in 1958, and finally to Rush Creek Bible Church in 2000. We have had ten pastors in our first century, including Henry Bonnema, Fred Vander Weide, Bert Baker, Wayne Webb, Vernon Schutz, Clarence Kramer, Craig Apel, Gary Leyendecker, John Spooner, and now we are led by Pastor Cameron Townley.
Despite these changes in location, church names, and pastoral leadership, there are some things that remain the same beginning first and foremost with the God Whom we serve. Over the years our commitment to the Word of God and its authority has never wavered. The church has maintained its strong emphasis on world evangelization through the many missionaries we have supported and continue to support. Finally, we remain committed to our mission as we seek to build authentic relationships through genuine community for the purpose of reflecting Jesus Christ.
We are thankful to the Lord for His faithfulness over the past 100 years, and we look forward to our future as beacons of God’s grace in the Byron Center area. May God truly receive all the honor and glory for the great things He has done!